After having spent the first part of our trip in the Thaa Atoll, we continued our idyllic escape to the Maldives with a stay in the Raffles Meradhoo hotel situated in the Gaafu Alifu Atoll.
It is one of the most secluded and untouched atolls of the Maldives Archipelago and its very faraway position in the Indian Ocean and its natural beauty make it the ultimate escape.
The legendary Raffles experience started as soon as we stepped aboard the boat that took us there.
When we arrived, we were welcomed by a joyful band playing local tunes and the hotel staff and, there and then, the unforgettable experience really began.
The Raffles Meradhoo is spread over two luxury islands providing two different experiences. The first has white sand, a lagoon with turquoise waters and lush vegetation; the second, on stilts, is orientated to the East and to the West offering sumptuous views on both the sunrise and sunset.
Tropical stunning Interior Design
As you may well imagine, I am going to start with the description of the place
The Raffles Meradhoo was designed by BLINK Design Agency. We can see straight away that their main concern in the choice of natural materials, such as oak, wicker, teak and bamboo, was to help protect the environment.
The entrance lobby is, in my view, an architectural wonder! It is completely open on to the lagoon and offers an impregnable view over the two islands, which constitutes the whole resort. Its convex roof is made of bamboo and gives it a real majestic touch.
The Raffles Meradhoo has villas on the beach and villas on stilts. We stayed in one of the beach villas. Only a few steps away from the water, it takes your breath away as you cross the threshold. The spread of colours inside – bluey grey, dark blue and a mixture of grey and beige – is inspired by the colours of the sea and we can find lovely and quirky objects on display such as lamps, with a coral base, vases, made with pieces of turtle shells and a lovely local musical drum.
Built to encourage complete relaxation and a calming of the senses, a few areas have been designed with this in mind: a private garden and a pool, a large terrace, directly open on the beach, and day beds both inside and outside.
The bathroom is sumptuous, made of marble and it is well lit up.
A few details in the villa are worth mentioning:
- An IPad informing you of all the different services offered by the Raffles Meradhoo: restaurants, spas, activities, etc.
- A yoga mat, personalised snorkelling equipment and beach bags are at your disposal.
Our Butler, Sinah, took care of the slightest details for us: games for our daughter, organising a snorkelling day for the three of us, reserving restaurants and activities and many other things…
Exclusive Dining at Raffles Meradhoo Maldives
Let’s talk now about the culinary experiences that the Raffles Meradhoo proposes:
- The Thari, the main restaurant, proposes a varied menu in a magnificent setting facing the sea and the main pool. Its decoration, with its bluey greys, fits the surroundings perfectly with a bamboo ceiling and comfortable dark oak furniture.
- The Firepit, a real magic treat, was romantic as well as relaxed and proposed delicious grilled food. It is the ideal spot to observe the stars while savouring a succulent feast.
- The Yuzu is the restaurant on the lagoon. In a simply divine spot, the chefs prepared dishes that showed the diversity of this unique culinary heritage, mixing traditional Peruvian cuisine with Spanish, Italian, Chinese and Japanese influences.
- Finally the Long Bar is the signature of the Raffles hotels across the globe. It has a chic design and is situated on the seafront, ideal to enjoy the sunset. Every time we went there it was always bliss for the senses.
We really had moments of pure joy with my family in each of these places, combining gastronomy, service and design, which I will specially dedicate to Mohammed for his kindness and his great professionalism
An experience that my daughter particularly liked was breakfast on floating trays in our private pool. Needless to say she did not want to get out
Off Resort Activities
In addition, the Raffles Meradhoo Meradhoo offered many activities. You could enjoy a garden route for your morning jog, nautical sports such as scuba-diving and a ‘butler guided’ snorkelling trip with comments on the incredible rich and diverse seabed around the island.
As far as the spa is concerned, it was a unique place combining design, luxury and relaxation. Its sculptural bamboo roof gave it its definite contemporary design signature. Situated on the water, this well-being centre proposes treatments for healing, calming and nourishing that marry the power of nature and ancient rituals. I myself had the experience of a personalised treatment, which was a real moment of joy and pure relaxation.
Truly a home-away-from home Experience
Our stay at the Raffles Meradhoo was absolutely magical
The team was simply marvellous and we were pampered from start to finish. Each detail was carried out discretely and we received so many delicate attentions, a special mention for our Butler Sinah who was exceptional!
I recommend the Raffles Meradhoo to those who search a safe haven beyond the limits of time, where luxury, sophistication and elegance are a way of life.